Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Meditation


Meditation. It's a discipline I'm trying to incorporate into my daily life much like prayer and positive thinking. There are many forms of meditation spanning many different religions and practices. Mediation can be scripted and focused on many different things. Someone doing spiritual or religious meditation might focus on God, a Bible verse, or a religious concept or discipline they want to incorporate more deeply into their lives. Others might choose meditation for the purpose of relaxation or improvement of physical or mental health.

If you do a Google search for Meditation you will find a multitude of web sites, "experts", definitions, and more. There are guided meditations where a person with a soothing voice will calmly talk you through the meditation with a specific focus in mind. There are also any number of songs out there that make a great background choice for listening to while meditating. Again this can range any number of different styles, so look for one that best suits you and your needs.

For myself, I have been using meditation as a way to find peace and calm in a hectic world. I am a wife, a mother of two, I teach 15 preschoolers all day, and I have a number of physical and emotional issues that challenge me daily. These physical and emotional challenges include, but are not limited to severe clinical depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, and fatigue due to not only the before mentioned conditions but also low iron and B12 levels. These challenges combined with the typical home and work responsibilities can make my days difficult to get through. Meditation is becoming a tool that helps me with the stress this can cause.

I am in no way an expert on meditation. In fact I am a novice at best. I am working to find techniques that work best for me and my needs...and that fit into my not so quiet life. What I am finding to be the most helpful in easing anxiety, fatigue, and stress is to simply take a few quiet moments to focus on my breathing and releasing the tension in my body. Most of the time I don't have more than five or ten minutes of uninterrupted quiet to do this in, so short sessions of deep focused breathing seem to work best for me. As I get more comfortable with meditation and can hopefully find longer periods of uninterrupted peace and quiet I hope to work in prayers and positive thoughts focused on physical healing, emotional healing, spiritual growth, healthy living, increased energy, and weight loss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment